Tank Eheim Vivaline 240 l, heater Hydor ETH 300, filter Eheim professionel 3 350

Plan: mangrove river estuary, SG 1.002


2 Toxotes Microlepis (Archerfish), 6 Melanotaenia Boesemani (Rainbowfish), Neritina Natalensis (Zebra Nerite), Clithon Corona

Mangrove environments around the world

Saturday 26 November 2011

The planted tank


Pictures!
The corner stone covered with C. Demersum. The Java moss almost disappears behind it, so it was probably a waste. Let's see how it will look in the future. Below, view from the top.

On top of the aerial parts of the "mangrove roots" I added a few epiphites, most collected in Brazil (the Tillandsiae), some purchased (the micro-orchids: one - Schoenorchis fragrans - in Thailand, the other one here in the Denmark).

The root environment: given the excess of Java moss I bought, I violated the original plans and mounted some on the roots. Not really something you see on real mangrove roots, but...


The final total view. Comments awaited!
Yesterday evening I added some of the mangrove propagulae I collected in Brazil. They're in bad conditions, I don't even know if they're still alive, so I just threw them in, neglecting the possible osmosis shock (the water is just freshwater). I kept the only two good seedles, the ones potentially most successful, for when the tank will reach final salinity (SG 1.002).

The only missing part now is the playground for the archer fishes, which will be artificial leaves hanging from the top. I chose what looks to be as similar as possible to mangrove leaves, i.e. the artificial ficus branches from Exo Terra.

No comments:

Post a Comment