Tank Eheim Vivaline 240 l, heater Hydor ETH 300, filter Eheim professionel 3 350

Plan: mangrove river estuary, SG 1.002


2 Toxotes Microlepis (Archerfish), 6 Melanotaenia Boesemani (Rainbowfish), Neritina Natalensis (Zebra Nerite), Clithon Corona

Mangrove environments around the world

Sunday 1 January 2012

My first algae

Just back from Xmas holidays, not sure the feeder worked fully all time. It was filled with dry little shrimp. The fishes appeared very happy to be treated with a cube of bloodworms.

Found also my first algae. They should be diatoms, in a few spots on the glass and the sand. I cleaned the glass and vacuumed the sand. As soon as I can, I'll get the planned Neritinae.

Chemistry appears in order, pH around 7.8. Changed 60 l of water, and added the usual 3.5 g/l of marine salts. With next addition I should reach SG 1.001, which is halfway to final density. After water change, NO3 at 50 mg/l.

The aerial plants are suffering from lack of ventilation, so far the two smallest Tillandsiae didn't make it. Also, the largest orchid lost all its flower stems, which were growing steadily before moving it into the tank. I've also removed the mangrove seedlings, not in good conditions from the time of collection in Brazil: they got covered with mold, and then started rotting. Hopefully I'll get better specimens next time, perhaps in a few weeks.

Mold on the mangroves propagulae and (wooden!) supporting sticks.


No comments:

Post a Comment