Tank Eheim Vivaline 240 l, heater Hydor ETH 300, filter Eheim professionel 3 350

Plan: mangrove river estuary, SG 1.002


2 Toxotes Microlepis (Archerfish), 6 Melanotaenia Boesemani (Rainbowfish), Neritina Natalensis (Zebra Nerite), Clithon Corona

Mangrove environments around the world

Wednesday 12 October 2011

Starting cycle

Started filter and heater. The latter might be oversized, since it's rated at 200 to 300 l, whereas the tank eventually is at 150 l. Let's hope for the best...
Initiated fishless cycling: added 9.4 ml of ammonium hydroxide, after about an hour I measured >3 mg/l of NH3+NH4 (the scale ends at 3...), corresponding roughly to 0.06 mg/l of NH4. Ain't it too low??

3 comments:

  1. Well it's great to finally see what you have been writing about. It looks good, actually very good. I think all your research is going to pay off.

    Don't worry about the pump being oversized. Most pump makers exaggerate, and your main concerns should be effectively removing toxins and not blowing your fish around the tank too much.

    I think this little project can develop very interestingly, I'll be watching over your shoulder ;-)

    greets
    Flee

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cool and I'm happy that despite the tons of water the floor seems to be "still on the same level".
    And I can only emphasize again:
    I want NEMO-FISHS !!! ;)

    But this blog is perfect so I can also stay up-to-date when not living in Aalborg anymore... as your first fishes might move in when I already moved out ;)

    so wish you all the best and more success than I had "fishsitting" my parents koi carps...

    cheers
    Kerstin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just fully endorse Kerstin's proposal :-) I know, I know, next one...

    Bea

    ReplyDelete